Taste NY Market
Finger Lakes Welcome Center
Tourism Ambassador - Position Description
The Tourism Ambassador Position requirements:
- Up to 30 hours per week during spring/summer (May – October)
- Up to 15 hours per week fall/winter (November – April)
- Minimum work period: All holidays, days, nights, weekends as schedule
- Start Date: Immediately
Position reports to: General Manager, Taste NY Market, Finger Lakes Welcome Center
Minimum age: 18
Minimum work period: All holidays, days, nights, weekends as scheduled
Summary:To provide friendly, courteous service to the visitors of the Finger Lakes Welcome Center and oversee the management of the volunteer program, as it relates to promoting and educating the public on the New York State agri-tourism industry and the Finger Lakes Region. A warm, personal attention provides a memorable first impression for visitors, making them feel welcome and valued.
- Responsible for welcoming, orienting, interacting and educating visitors
- Engage visitors in a friendly, hospitable, and respectful manner and be responsive to their interests and questions; exercising good judgment when interacting with visitors
- Knowledgeable on the state’s geographic regions, particularly the Finger Lakes Region, its tourist attractions, winery/brewery trails, sporting events and keeping current on all local festivals
- Assist/train visitors with information available to them via travel kiosks
- Distribute approved NYS travel related information
- Manage the FLWC volunteers, establish work schedules and continue ongoing education of the Finger Lakes Region
- Train all staff members and volunteers on tourism industry related topics, as well as all state kiosks
- Collect visitor statistics for monthly state reports
- Manage all Welcome Center social media outlets, such as Facebook, Instagram, Etc. as approved by the respective State agencies
- Provide feedback for the betterment of Welcome Center operations
- Ensure cleanliness of the tourism counter area
- Point of contact with ESD for overseeing kiosk maintenance and artifact wall
- Performs other duties or roles as assigned by management
Personal Traits and Skills:
- The best candidate for this position is someone who can learn, memorize and impart a vast amount of information in a short period of time in an engaging, fun and easily digestible way
- Must be friendly and engaging with all Welcome Center visitors, demonstrate good listening skills, be polite and approachable
- Present a clean-cut, neat and professional image
Education and/or Experience:
- Must be familiar with tourism destinations throughout the Finger Lakes Region and New York
- Meet the minimum age requirement of this Position
- Effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by you to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- While performing the duties of this position you are regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell and you will be required to sit; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. You must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Present yourself in a pleasant manner when interacting with staff members and visitors.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that you will encounter while performing the essential functions of this position and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this position you will be frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme heat and you will be exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes & airborne particles, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as handheld scanners, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, Etc. is required.